Purchase With Recourse (PWR)
What is Purchase With Recourse (PWR)?
- Approved Seller (AS) sells loans to Cagamas with an option, at the maturity of the contract, to repurchase the pool of loans sold or execute a new contract for a further contracted review period based on new terms.
- The loans are purchased at their book value, i.e., purchase at par value based on previous month end balance.
- At end of tenure, loans to be repurchased by the AS at the estimated amortised value of the loans (e.g. 30% of loan amount).
- The remaining balance (e.g. 30% of loan amount) is to be repaid in lump sum at maturity.
Overview of PWR
- Purchase Price: Principal balance outstanding as at the purchase date
- Rate Type: Fixed / Floating / Convertible
- Instalment Frequency: Monthly / Quarterly / Semi-Annually / Annually
- Repurchase: Repurchase of defective loans on quarterly intervals
- Replacement: Replacement of repurchased loans by way of sale of new loans of a value which is equivalent to the repurchased value
- Rollover Option: At maturity, the AS will be given an option to repurchase the pool of loans sold to Cagamas or execute a new contract for a further contracted review period based on new terms.
Benefits of PWR
- Competitive pricing to the AS by tapping the capital market through Cagamas bonds which are rated AAA.
- Avenue to raise funds at fixed/floating rates (hedging against rising interest rates).
- Diversify funding resources.
- No fee and transaction cost to the AS.
- Fast turnaround time.
- Loans remain on the book of the AS to maintain the asset growth.